The first part of the farm’s name “Tekavča” dates back to the 12-13th century and interrelates to the history of the Šteberg Castle that was first mentioned in 1274 (Steegberg). The castle was abandoned after a catastrophic earthquake in 1511.
For more information visit the website:
Three surrounding houses and the farm “Tekavča ograda” that are located at the foot of the castle served to the knights of Šteberk. Each house served for a particular purpose and has consequently retained its traditional old name up to the present day. Sextons (that in Slovene are called mežnarji) resided in one of the houses.Today amid locals the house is known as “pri Mežnarčkovih”. The residence of locals that were committed to transportation of horses and goods (in Slovene known as urbarji) is today named “pri Urbkovih”. Malnar is an old Slovene name for miller. The building that was once a mill house is called “pri Malnčkovih”. The tourist house is known as “pri Tekavčih”. The name originates from “pri Tklačevih”. Tkati means to weave. The house was the residence of the Šteberk castle’s weavers. The second part of the name is “ograda” which means fence and it was added due to the natural location of the farm that is encircled by hazels. Hence the name “Tekavča ograda”.
Šteberk Castle (Valvasor)
Šteberk Castle ruins